Sunday, August 10, 2008

8 IS GR8

When you turn 8 in our family, you get to do some "grown-up" things. Such as learn how to light matches and use a sharp knife. You also get a big plate at the dinner table and a big fork and knife to eat with. When we were setting the table for the birthday dinner, Benj had a great idea: "Let's throw away all of the little [salad] forks! We don't need them any more." Silly Benj!
p.s. Baptism coming up on Sept. 6--mark your calendar :)

7 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Wow. I can't believe little Benj is all grown up.

Slim said...

I also remember you telling me about another 8th-birthday-tradition in your family that has to do with the birds and the bees over dinner...we've contemplated doing the same thing with our oldest in September too. Any tips? Here's a memory for the day: you and I were both huge and pregnant watering the flowers at the church because the temple open house was going on. You had Benj two weeks before I had mine and I thought how lucky you were to get out of your watering duties! Funny that's what I remember about you being pregnant with cute Ginger.

calmrapids said...

It's an idea we got from the book, "Teaching your Children Values" by Linda and Richard Eyre. I'll let you borrow it. But basically, you tell your child that they are old enough to learn something very special and important. Let your child choose the restaurant, have a great dinner (Benj chose Denny's--he wanted pancakes), then go to dad's office to learn how important families are and how Heavenly Father wants his children to go to good strong families. You talk about what it takes to have a good family and then you talk a little biology and correct terminology and the importance of taking care of your body. You also tell him that he can't talk to his friends about it because it's their parents job to tell them. It's a little uncomfortable, but you want your child to learn it from you first. Benj did great. He caught on lots faster than the other kids--or maybe we've had practice presenting it.

Ari said...

Your kids are sure growing up fast! What great tips you have given, I especially like the tradition of having a big plate,knife and matches. Connor will be turning 8 in January, I'll have to try that.

Rachel said...

LOL! We haven't reached the birds and bees speech yet, but YIKES! We are less than a year away.

Do I really have to??

I love reading all your posts. What an amazing family you are.

Dickey said...

He is too cute! I love the pic of your girls as well...I remember picking one up to babysit every Friday. I always felt comfortable knowing my kids were in good hands.

Trulee said...

You'll have to post pictures from the baptism. Happy B-Day Benji.