It's school supply time, again. Do I sound less than enthusiastic? Don't get me wrong, I love school supplies. New pencils, highlighters in every color, the smell of Crayolas, fine-tipped ball point pens in black ink and maybe purple, too. Spirals without bent corners, doodles and messy leftover strips from tearing out pages. Graph paper, sketch paper, copy paper, construction paper, college-ruled, wide-ruled. When I was younger, I remember telling my mom that when I grew up I wanted to open a paper store (this was before scrapbooking). She was like, "Paper? What for? You can buy paper at Fred Meyer."Jace and Benj were going through their pre-packaged school supplies (purchased from the school to support the PTO). They both had a box of 24 pencils. Benj's were Dixon Ticonderoga and Jace's were an off-brand. Jace eyed Benj's pencils and turned a little green. Then his lightbulb went on: "Benj, how about if I give you 12 of my pencils and you give me 12 of yours and then we can both have the same kind of pencils?" Benj didn't see anything wrong with this deal and agreed. Jace got 12 precious Dixon Ticonderoga's and Benj got to match his big brother.I do have a problem with teachers that request certain items that are almost impossible to find. I have no idea where they're coming from. A few years ago, Cait had an English teacher that requested an orange pocket folder with brads. Each of the classes had a different color and Cait's class got stuck with orange. I drove all over Houston looking for that orange folder. I found many without brads. I found many without pockets. They would not do and I was getting desperate. If it wasn't in hand, in class by Friday her GRADE would be affected. Can you believe it? "I'm grading you on how well your mother can drive all over the city to find the elusive orange-colored folder. You have until Friday then I start taking off points." What? I bought a red hoping that we could paint it. Then dumb luck stepped in. There was a girl in another class who couldn't find red but happened to stumble across the last orange in the state. We arranged a swap and the grade was saved.This year our elusive supplies include a Composition Book with 3 binder-holes, 5 x 7 index cards that are on rings with a plastic cover, and ABC dividers. I have until Friday.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Dixon Ticonderoga
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Good luck. I am thrilled that this year I did not have to find anything strange. I know if I need something target is out of the grocery store is the place to find it. Happy School Year!!!
Hilarious cartoon. It isn't actually done that way, but I'm not ruling out some kind of dart board system. :)
I think teachers who request weird items should either a) build them into their budget (contrary to popular belief--they do have one) or b) buy them up themselves and sell them to the class or c) at the very least give you the name of the store where you can get one. Also, there is always a lot of controversy and hard feelings about whether or not the school's supply check should get a grade. I say yes to a VERY low grade (which, by the way, is not possible under the KISD system which insists that EVERY assignment be given 100 points in the sacred black book) and loads of time to gather supplies that are generally repeats from other classes.
I so relate to your post! I remember that madness when I was in TX too. Many many stores later, I gave up and pleaded with the teacher to let me substitute for a different color. Luckily, she did.
Thank heavens UT doesn't require school supplies like that (aren't we lucky?). We just wait until the first day, and the teachers give each of them a list of things they'll need, then we go out and get them - but it's limited to a few things like a binder, 2 folders, etc. Nothing like TX. (PHEW)
Good Luck!
Thanks so much. I really wasn't sure how to approach it. With everyone at different levels of computer knowledge, I felt like I didn't make sense to anyone!
Thanks again for inviting me. Love your blog!
Natalie
That is silliness! You would think with the amount of school taxes we pay each year we wouldn't have to track down supplies too! (Grumble, grumble.) :)
Hey Liz!
Ya! I remember you! You lived with the Shoff's for a while right? I need to get all the Doxey address's and see who else is out there. Anyway, I will add you as a family member so we can keep in touch.
Thanks for making the "first contact". :)
Emily
I bet the teachers go to all the local stores after school and watch the parents run around like crazies. It's all in good fun.
Actually, I was a teacher and I would be happy if the student showed up to class with something to write with.
I'm having vivid flashbacks of the Brill list that demanded a certain kind of Big Chief Writing Tablet that you couldn't find anywhere else except in the conveniently packaged PTO school supplies.
Clever marketing tool that is.....insisting on materials that only YOU can provide.
I spent a few days in Oregon and Washington recently. Out of curiosity I picked up a school supply list at a Vancouver, WA Wal Mart. It had a message across the top that thanks to whatever school referendum passed in that district, school supplies were now being provided by the district.
I'm a conservative so this conflicts me a bit. I'm thrilled by the idea but concerned that it means raising taxes and burdening taxpayers to do it. Let's face it: there's NO way a school district will be as frugal and conscientious about money as a parent who has to directly buy the items themselves would be.
Post a Comment