Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Thousand Memories



A picture's worth a thousand memories.

A few months ago I was working on a memory book for my sister in honor of her 40th birthday. One of my brother's emailed this pic to me. I had never seen it before. He said it was of our one-day trip to Yosemite. We went so we could say we'd been there.

There's 7 kids peeking out of the back there so we know Jonny was the baby. We have coats and jackets on so it wasn't summer yet. We have the station wagon so we know it was during our Manteca days. It was before Dad died, but not too long before--I'm guessing within 6 months.

We had a large family, we had family outings, we were comfortable being close with each other. We had a camera, we had coats, food, clothes, gas for the car, pacifiers. I remember that coat, I remember that car. I remember that trip.

We had love. And now we have memories. I thought it was amazing how one picture--not even an award winning picture--can say so much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. You're right, and you make me want to be a better mom, AND photographer!! You're awesome Liz.

Emily and Jake Shoff said...

That is SERIOUSLY one of the cutest pics I have ever seen! And we totally had a station wagon when we were kids too so it brings back sweet memories for me as well!

pcb said...

Maybe station wagon's bring back memories - at least that is what I thought when I saw this. No seat belts just togetherness! I am off on my own nostalgic journey now - thanks.

Rachel said...

Not sure why, but this picture made me cry. Not because I think it's sad, but because you were all together, loving, happy, excited for the adventure. What a beautiful thing a family is.

Love ya.

pinksuedeshoe said...

I love this. LOVE it. (particularly the little arms hanging out the side on the right :o)