Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mental Health Day

(tired mother's day flowers)
A couple of weeks ago, we told C that she could pick a day to take off. She's a senior, works hard, has been so busy and was getting burnt out. Just the notion of a day off picked up her spirits and she chose a day that I would have off work and we could spend the day together. She was able to miss school but would have to go to work later that afternoon.

Finally the day came. We decided to go to the new outlet mall that probably isn't that new anymore but we hadn't been there yet so it was new to us. I drove her seminary route for her and let her sleep in and then got the other kids to school. We printed off a map of the stores and talked about which ones we HAD to visit and then we hit the road.

We had so much fun. Just the two of us. The weather was perfect and because it was a regular day, the stores weren't that crowded. We shopped and bought things we just had to have. C found the perfect pair of Converse to wear with her prom dress. I bought a pair, too, just because. I found a new dress that I love and a new purse, too. C loved visiting Aeropostale and her other favorites. She found some pants that she liked and were also dress-code appropriate for BYU-Idaho. We had Chinese for lunch and Smoothie King for fun.

When we were finally on our way home, I couldn't help but feel so happy and very content. I had been able to spend some awesome time, one on one with a daughter that will be out and on her own in a few short months. We had good conversation and enjoyed each others company. It was very renewing and relaxing.

Even though it was initially supposed to be a mental health day for C, it turned out to be exactly what I needed. And I didn't even know it until it was over. I think I had been just as burnt out with my schedule and demands as C had been. It's amazing what getting out of the normal routine can do for you. We had a perfect day.

Thanks C., Love you!

3 comments:

pcb said...

I think I need one of those too - and I haven't been to those outlet stores either! Maybe someday you and I can take a day together.

Clear Aire said...

I'm so jealous. I am soooo jealous. I wish I could hangout with you for a day, just you and me. :( I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome! You're such a great mother and example to me!