Sunday, October 18, 2009

Alligators, Ice Cream, and Quilts

Last week, our nephew, Michael, flew down to help Katie drive home. We've had her for 6 months and since she's been gone (3 days now!) we've had an empty spot here in our family. We expect her to come walking through the door at any time! She will definitely be missed!
Michael was here for a week, and since he'd never been to Houston before, we had to do some sight-seeing and show off some of the things we love around here! So, here are a bunch of pictures from Brazo's Bend State Park, the Bluebell Ice Cream factory in Brenham, and then some pictures of the International Quilt Festival that I went to last Thursday.


Katie and Michael

Benj in one of the many beautiful old oaks in Brazo's Bend.
Yes, he's in a jacket! The temp was in the 60's that day --freezing to us!

There were a lot of these signs!

We took a picnic to the park. Yum!

The park has 2 small lakes and many smaller ponds, all with walking trails around them. The water was very murky green that day.

This park is a photographer's dream. Lots of great shots here!


One of the alligators we saw. It was cool enough that they stayed put.
Not much action on this day. We only saw 4 or 5--sometimes when we come we count over 70.

Benj getting a little too close to an alligator. Can you see him hiding?


This cool old tree was growing around another tree.

Time for ice cream --
On to the ice cream factory! Ready to go!

Jace, Michael, and Benjamin doing what they do best--being silly.

The park for lunch.

Here are just a few of the many quilts I saw at the IQ Festival. I love going and have gone almost every year since we moved here.

This one kind of has a dutch look to it.

I love the whimsical category and I want to find out how to do the white outlining that you see in these bushes and around the buildings.


This was a favorite in the whimsical category as well. Painting on fall. There are a lot of quilts with people in them and the arms in this one looked very realistic. People are so creative!
I came home from the festival and just wanted to start cutting up fabric!

4 comments:

pcb said...

Awesome!! You guys always have so much fun. Why didn't you ask me to go with you to the Quilt Festival?

Slim said...

You could make one of those and I know you probably will someday.

Anonymous said...

These quilts look so hard, I honestly can't even tell if it's all fabric - or partly paint or what. Wow. I thought I was getting okay at quilting until I saw these pics.

Oh well - still so much learning out there to be done! I guess that means I better get out my sewing machine! :)

Any more thought to doing classes???

Trulee said...

Oh, man, wish we could have been there. It looks like you guys had soo much fun. Thanks for hosting us a few weeks ago. We will certainly be down there again.