The top of the quilt is finally done!!!
Now comes the fun part--filling the entire thing with tiny stitches through 3 layers.
Our stake donates a homemade quilt every year to support an organization that helps others who are down on their luck. This organization runs a food bank, meals on wheels, career help, language help, health clinic, womens shelter, etc. There are many churches that support and run this organization --our stake is one of them.
Every fall, they hold a huge gala fundraiser. There is a wonderful fancy dinner, a band, and an auction. Some of the items auctioned off are airline tickets, fur coats, jewelry, outdoor kitchens, furniture, and a king-sized homemade, hand-quilted quilt.
This is the second one I've made for the auction in the last 3 years. I make the top and then there are many women in the stake that help quilt it. The auction is in October and so far we are on schedule.
This first picture is the first block completely done. There are 16 blocks total and they are 16" square. Each block contains 64 -2" squares, many of them triangle squares. It took forever to cut out all of the tiny pieces.
Here's the first four blocks done.
Here's all 16 blocks done and laid-out. They aren't sewn together yet.
The border fabric is next to them.
Here's the entire quilt--102"square. This is the first time I have ever done a mitered border. I like the look of it and would do it again --now I know that you need a LOT of extra fabric in the corners to get it to lay flat. It's too bad I had to learn on this one. It was a lot of fabric to handle at once in every corner. The border is made up of 3 different fabrics and is 20" wide.

8 comments:
Liz it is breathtaking!!! You are so awesome!
Gorgeous! Time to call the stipple shop I say.
Actually, I really love to quilt, but I don't know anybody here who does it. Everyone pieces, nobody quilts.
Oh goodness, that is beautiful!
I am seriously speechless.
xox
Wow! My goodness, I thought the last one was amazing, but this one is seriously crazy. You are awesome. It is gorgeous! The pattern looks very intricate and I am glad you took pictures of it all the way through. Let me know if you need help quilting it. I'd love to squeeze in some time again. You are seriously amazing!
Seriously Liz, now that I've dipped my toe into the waters of quilting, I cannot even fathom how much time these quilts must take you - you really are an artist!! This top is absolutely gorgeous and I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a "session" with you - learning some trips and techniques - I'm sure you could teach me so much now that I have some idea of what I'm doing - starting with that awesome border - I'm not going to even pretend that I know what you were talking about, though I would love to....if you're ever up here - I'm gonna reserve an hour of your time and learn as much as I can from you. Great job!!
How do you do it? I'm impressed. Talk about creativity. That is a job well done.
Liz,
Wow...I had no idea that you are a master quilter! That is amazing! I have only quilted a bit...I know that this was an enormous amount of work. Well done!
wow...that is beautiful. You are one talented lady! Hope that I can do as good job as you do, of course when I get some free time. I'm working on Olivia's comforter, but's it's nothing like a quilt...easy and simple is all I can handle right now, but I love to quilt. Great job Liz!!
Post a Comment