Thursday, June 4, 2009

What Works for Me

A few years ago I had a great antiquing day. I went with two friends for the whole day. We traveled far and wide in a large, white pick up truck trying to find the perfect piece of furniture. I can't remember where we eventually ended up, but the when we got home the back of the truck was still empty. We had spent a great day together but had not found what we set out to get.

There was one item we had found, however, that made the trip worth it. A fantastic wood polish called "The Natchez Solution." http://www.natchezsolution.com/index.html
The guy in the antique shop had just received a shipment of old trunks from the Czech Republic or somewhere far away and they were old, the wood was all dried up, and the paint on them was faded. He brushed the solution on them, let them sit overnight and then rubbed them with a rag. They were gorgeous. He had a few he was working on so we could see the difference. We left his shop with a prize--the phone number off the back of the bottle.

Before they set up a web site, you could just call the number and they would send the product to you. When you received the product, you sent them a check for payment. They are a mom-and-pop type business that clearly uses handshakes and trust as opposed to contracts. The times that I have called, I feel I'm talking to the guy that actually makes the polish, not a call center. That is very appealing to me.

This is a product that I love and have used ever since and I think my antiquing buddies would agree with me. I use it on all the wood in the house, the tables, banister, desks, TV cabinet, etc. I don't use it every time I dust, just maybe every month or so.

I have a table in the family room that one of the kids left a glass of water on. There was that lovely faded circle that I thought would be a part of the table forever. I couldn't believe that this stuff fixed it so easily.

We recently removed the storm doors from our front doors. I love our front doors but you couldn't really see them with the storm doors over them. Now, about once a month, I rub the solution all over the doors with a rag and they stay protected. Rain and water from the sprinklers just beads up and runs off.

I wish I had wood floors so I could use it on that. Actually there are a lot of reasons why I would love wood floors but we'll save that for another day.

If you're looking for a good wood polish, check it out!

3 comments:

pcb said...

Love your new look!! I love businesses like that too, but the product sounds wonderful and that makes the business even better.

Slim said...

Ah yes! The Natchez solution. That old french table that eventually filled the back of that white truck that day needs another dose of that polish. That was a great day. We need to go again, my friend. Do you have an excuse to go yet? I am thinking I need a linen cabinet. It is almost a need, but can still be ranked as a want. I could use another couple of toile china plates though. Whenever you get the itch to go, let's do it. Thanks for the reminder about the polish!

calmrapids said...

I had forgotten about the table--I remember we couldn't find a cabinet for your music.