Monday, April 13, 2009

What Works for Me



I'm borrowing the "What Works for Me" idea from Sharon's blog. I think it's a great way to pass on good ideas.

The idea I want to share is something I learned in Homemaking a long time ago. For those of you that already know this organizing technique, I apologize for being redundant. :)

I have many boxes. At last count we were up to 37. Don't make fun until you count yours! Recently we pulled 2 Easter boxes out of the attic. One was full of baskets and the other had decorations, grass, and plastic eggs. And now it's time to put it all away. Every few months we pull out boxes and put them away again. For Christmas, we have 7 boxes. Some have lights, another for ornaments, tree skirt, decorations, stockings, stocking holders, etc. Two boxes for Halloween plus one for fall decor. I also have many boxes with craft supplies. One for yarn, a few for fabric, one for craft paint, two for patterns. There's also camping stuff, Chris's mission stuff. Lots of stuff. You get the picture. Does this sound familiar?

This is how I organize it: I use Rubbermaid boxes because they are very durable and every lid fits every box. Another reason I like Rubbermaid is because even though some are deep and some are shallow, they still stack together. Every box has a number taped to the front. Every number corresponds to an index card that is kept in a recipe card box. Every card contains a list of what is in that box. For example, card number 22 says "Easter Baskets." We find box #22 in the attic and pull it down for the weekend. After Easter, we know that those baskets will fit back into that box.

If someone wants to borrow a Nativity scene in the middle of July, I can look at my cards and know that it is in box #37 and I can go right to that box and find the Nativity scene. If the kids need yarn for a school project I send them to box #17.

If we have to change what's in the box we just re-do the index card when we're packing it all back up. The boxes stay neat looking and accessible and we save a lot of time looking for things!

I would like to know how many boxes you all have. Is 37 a lot? I don't know--maybe it is. When you take into account 20+ years of being married, 5 kids, and lots of hobbies maybe we're doing OK on the stuff scale. I don't know. Maybe I got a big problem and I need to go to Stuff Savers Anonymous and do the 12-point program. :)

8 comments:

Marnie said...

Great idea. I need to do a little more of the organizing stuff. I would bet I have over 100 now. You do have to realize I have not unpacked everything when we moved. I would say at least half are of the books we love to read and I will not unpack until we buy a house. Miss you. When we do buy I am sending for you to come and help me organize my life. Love you

Trulee said...

This is a great idea. I'm totally going to steal it. Thanks-

heidikins said...

Wow--this is brilliant! I love the recipe card idea...I generally have just written the contents/key words on the box in sharpie...and then have boxes full of crossed out words.

And I'm not married, no kids, and I still have at least 37 boxes. So if you have a meeting to attend, PLEASE TAKE ME WITH YOU!

xox

Dickey said...

Eight boxes,15 years and 4 kids. Love the idea. Hate stuff. Thanks for sharing.

pcb said...

I do the same thing - minus the index cards. I do put the Christmas stuff in green and red rubbermaids and the halloween in orange etc. I have about 8 full of holiday and craft stuff.

Sharon said...

What a great idea! I may have to steal it.

I have to confess that "Works for me" wasn't my idea. It's a blog carnival hosted by We are THAT family at http://www.wearethatfamily.com/
The real name of the carnival is "Works for me Wednesday". So you can check there every Wednesday to see what works for everyone else. :-)

Rachel said...

This is a great idea! I have about 10 rubbermaids full of kids clothes...

The other stuff that is piled in my basement should be in boxes...then I would have more :)

I love the index card idea! I'm stealing it...that is when I get into gear and buy some more.

JakeAndEmma said...

Now I don't feel so bad about our boxes...six just seems like a lot when they're all in your bedroom because you don't have a storage room.