I am always right.
Right-handed that is.
I have hardly ever used my left hand for anything. I don't seem to have a problem using my two hands together for tasks like typing, driving, sewing, playing the piano, etc., but if it's just a left-handed task forget about it. As a teenager I worked for hours at a time for months and months trying to train my left hand to paint the fingernails on my right hand. I got good enough so that it was presentable (good thing polish remover is cheap) but it was very hard to learn.
My oldest brother has actually taken the time to train himself to eat with his left hand. He decided that if anything ever happened to his right hand, he wanted to be prepared to use his left hand more. He chose to not be totally right-handed.
Being right-handed is how my brain is wired, but it is also my choice because I didn't change it. I had to eat with my left hand for a few weeks two years ago and it was hard--very slow and messy, but not impossible. I don't like to change my routine. It's what I'm familiar with and I like what I am used to.
Sometimes our perspective can get in a mindless rut. We are used to doing things a certain way and making conclusions based on what we know and see. It's a challenge to try and look at a situation from a different angle, but it's not impossible. When I married, my eyes were opened as I began to see things how Chris saw them. His perspective on people and situations continues to enlighten me and gets me out of the groove of only seeing things my way.
I just started reading C.S. Lewis' "Surprised by Joy." Early on in the book, he is reminiscing about his first glimpse of England. He was on his way from Ireland to boarding school and could not believe what an ugly country he was viewing. On page 24 it reads, "Well does the Kalevala say that in a stranger's house the floor is full of knots. I have made up the quarrel since; but at that moment I conceived a hatred for England which took many years to heal." The reason he hated England? Because England was flat and had red brick farmhouses instead of white cottages. It wasn't what he was used to.
Every time I meet a new friend and 'hear their story', my perspective changes and my view widens. They are like no one I have ever met before. Maybe they don't wash dishes how I do or maybe they've never been to California or maybe they don't like ice cream. Do I hate them because they're different? I will admit, sometimes I have to look for commonalities to base a relationship on but I always try and learn something from their experiences.
One thing that I love about blogging is reading different opinions and views. It makes you and your blogs all the more endearing to me. As I read about your adventures and opinions--everything from making goofy noises to get your baby to smile, to having a good day with the piano tuner, to sharing a product that works for you, a new way of looking at Twilight, a favorite song, a 20 year-old wedding picture--I grow and my vista widens.
I've decided that I'll always be right-handed even if I somehow lose my entire right arm, but my perspective can change daily as it's being fine-tuned through your opinions and adventures.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
All so true and so eloquently put! I don't ever have to "try" when I am with you - we seem to see lots of things the same way and it helps me to feel "normal" and comfortable.
I love this post.
I am ridiculously right-handed. In fact, part of my trouble with piano playing is that my bass hand cannot keep up with my melody hand. Hours of finger exercises helped, but never overcame.
My second is quite ambidextrous. I'm still not sure exactly which hand he'll end up using regularly though he is in his fifth year. He also seems to be the best at taking people how they are and the most laid back. I wonder if there is a metaphor there.
I like how you look at life. I connect with you and perhaps it's because we both lost our father's in an untimely manner. I have always liked your positive nature even when life didn't hand you perfection. It is good to know that your perspective has been shaped by interactions with others and you are choosing to glean the good from it all.
Hi Liz,
So good to connect. Yes, I am a NEW blogger. Still can't figure out how to change my background...other more important things to do I guess. Plus I am afraid if I play around too much I will ruin it. We are NOT in Houston...yet. Bill works there and commutes every weekend. Not ideal, but it's a great job and we are willing to sacrifice a little to allow Christine to stay here and finish her senior year. She's a junior this year. If Bill doesn't find a good opportunity here by this time next year, we will sell our house and move. It's hard being apart but we try not to complain too much. So many people have things much worse. Yes, the kids are growing, as are yours...William arrived in Colombia on Tuesday...we assume. Sounds like you all are doing great! Take care...thanks for your inspirational blog. I love it!
I enjoyed reading your blog. It's nice to know there are nice people like you still left out there. Understanding others is a great trait and also makes us realize there are always many stories we could be missing out on.
Post a Comment