The first time we were BOO-ed was before we moved here, so maybe 10 years ago. I actually remember it well. I had never heard about the idea of giving treats in such an organized way with the poem and accompanying BOO sign for the window. When we first read the poem, I felt very special. We were chosen! We were part of the chain! Then I read again--We had ONE day to make treats, copy poem/instructions, and new BOO signs. We shifted into turbo and put off our regularly scheduled programming to get the job done. But I was busy, could I fit it all in? Would someone know it if we were late or did it wrong? I know I stressed myself out about it WAY too much. I have a hard time with deadlines put on me that I don't agree to ahead of time. Anyway, after trips to the copy store and the grocery store to get the copies and the right treat, we went out to secretly deliver our yummy, perfectly planned delight. And guess what--in our little close-knit LDS neighborhood, there were NO houses left to be BOO-ed. We were the last ones! We were not chosen, we were the remnants. All of the running around to keep the chain going for nothing. We ended it. Chain over. We kept the treat. --After a couple of years of poems telling me I had ONE day to keep the chain going, I started to ignore them. I hoped that we wouldn't get BOO-ed so we wouldn't have to go to all of the trouble to pass it on. I should've just stuck up a paper ghost in the window to keep well-wishers away. I am such a grinch! :)
Now, I'm not all bad (I hope). There are some good things about this contemporary tradition. Neighbors reach out to each other and look forward to passing along a bit of thoughtfulness with their treat. But the best thing about BOO-ing, from my perspective, is watching my kids be sneaky. And for that reason, the last few years, we do our own kind of BOO-ing. We choose 4 or 5 friends/neighbors and make them treats. We enclose a note but leave out the demanding deadline part. They can have a treat with no strings attached--They don't have to pass it along! We just let them know it's from someone they know but we don't say exactly who. The kids dress in dark clothing and wear their best running shoes. We drive up to the house with lights off. We scout out the area--the best shrubbery/cars to hide behind and the best escape route. Chris and I sit in the car and giggle while we watch the kids sneak up to the door, ring the bell, and take off! They run, dive, hit the ground, flatten themselves behind trees, and set off car alarms (sorry Kristi!). When they all finally make it back in the car and Chris peals off down the street, they all breathe a sigh of relief and relive their moves. The adrenaline is thick in the air and they're all talking at once, same story over and over from different perspectives. "I didn't know they were going to come around the garage! I ran then hit the ground, then counted to 10, looked up, took off, hit the car (alarm), went behind the tree, army-manned it behind the bush, ran to our car!" Laughing, pointing, then--next house! I love BOO-ing!

7 comments:
Funny thing...we just moved to a neighborhood with eleven LDS families and we were the ONLY ones who didn't get BOO-ed! I really do LOVE our new neighborhood and we were invited to go trick-or-treat with several families in our Ward, but it was a bit awkward when we went to their houses with their BIG BOO signs on their doors. Oh well, next year I might try Boo-ing your way...I think you're on to something and at least they invited us to go trick-or-treating!!! ;)
I love this, I think Matt would too. It makes it a little more difficult in an apartment complex, but nothing is impossible for Matt.
I love your boo idea! We were booed multiple times this year, all with a different looking ghost & rhyme. I just bought the treat & did the copying for two of them, one for the LDS boo and one of the school boo's. Very cute we were booed more than once but the guilt to reciprocate! Anyways, your pictures are amazing. To see all the destruction. I'm so glad you guys are safe & sound and that you have minimal damamge. Love you guys! Take care.
Oh that is funny!! We got boo-ed twice and I wasen't about to do it again. Once was enough for me. They boys love it though, they are so sneaky and funny to watch hide behind cars, bushes and what ever else they can find. It's even cutter when the little one's are lost and not sure what to do. =)
This was our first year to be boo-ed and to boo in return. Jedi Master thought it was totally fun. He kept calling it a prank, which was really cute until he said, "Next year, we'll through a big rock at their house instead!"
???????????????????????????
OH! I miss doing that! booing was so fun. I loved watching benj run and hid like a cute little burglar- all sneaky and stealthy. I miss running out of breath when you run back to the car, and trying to get in the car as fast as possible so the lights aren't on too long in the car. SO FUN!!
I like your idea of having no strings attached! We might have to do that next year. I'm sure you made up a very clever poem too!
Post a Comment