Sunday, May 18, 2008

Have An Armadillo Day!

Isn't it funny how some sayings stick with us? We find a funny or catchy word or phrase and start repeating it. Pretty soon it's part of our every-day vocabulary and even makes sense to those around us who know the history of the saying.
Last fall when I was walking Benj to school we were lucky enough to see an armadillo. This wasn't your usual road-kill, bloated, feet-in-the-air, dark red blood variety. We have been here 9 years and have only seen dead armadillos. The armadillo that we saw on this morning was alive and running! We followed it through 3 or 4 neighbors yards and around the corner. There weren't any other kids close to us to see it, too. It was just a moment for Benj and me to share. The rest of the way to school we talked about how cool it was, about where it was and where it ran to, and basically cherished the moment. Well, our day was not ordinary anymore! We had seen an armadillo and followed it for almost a whole block! We were so happy about it, the entire day was great. We were having an armadillo day! And, even now, when the stars seem to be aligned and everything is going great, we say that we're having an armadillo day!

3 comments:

Slim said...

I like that! But I'm going to have to see and armadillo up close to be able to really use that saying, you know! How fun.

Megan said...

Cute saying & wow Liz I just got caught up on your busy schedule & man! It's busy. I'm getting a good taste of it this year with 4 kids...but my oldest is only 8!! I can only imagine the chaos when they are teenagers and involved in all they do. But, it's worth it. We all did it. But involved in it all developed our gifts & talents & our character. It's only when you are the parents doing it that you realize how much your parents did! Love you & I can't believe you have daughters going to prom & graduating! Sheesh!!!

Trulee said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. I think I will make today an armadillo day.