Thursday, September 15, 2011

M is for Merrell


Working practically full time is taking over my life. I'm grateful for my job--kids get more expensive as they get older. But there are a few things that are now on the back-burner. Keeping up a blog, reading other blogs, surfing the net to check out interesting things, housework--definitely on the back burner. I'm still trying to read a lot. My reading times haven't changed--before I fall asleep, waiting rooms, etc. But, I haven't really kept up with my list of what I've read so I have to clean my room and go through my book piles to try and remember what I've read so I can update my book list on my blog. And remember, housework is on the back-back burner. So, it'll be one of these days . . .

We had family pictures taken recently. We were able to get together a few days before Cait went back to Idaho for her 3rd semester. I'm so glad we did because it'll be about two years before we're all together again. That's a long time. And we had the pictures taken in Magnolia about a week before the fires started up there. I'm so glad we got it done when we did!! No one wants smoky pictures, or the brave fireman running with a hose through the background. Or even black tree stumps. Anyway, somehow it all worked out. Pictures done--check.

I have three quilts to make and/or finish. I'm thinking it'll be a Thanksgiving week project--I'll have time then. Cait made one that I want to help her finish, but that might wait until her next break so she can learn how to machine quilt. I have started to cut out one for my and Chris' bed and Stefanie finally chose the fabric and pattern for her graduation quilt. I have until June to finish Stef's (or if I finish it on the same time-line as her older sisters, the Christmas after).

My baby started middle school this last month. I know, kind of random to just throw that out there, but today he had a hard morning. He came home happy, but this morning was hard. I've got to take time in the afternoon when he comes home to help him organize his homework, projects, practice times for piano and cello, and remind him to brush his teeth. The bus gets him home at 4:30--not much time to do all of those things. And I'm trying to get dinner on the table and busyness sets in for all of us. Today was a time to step back and rethink our afternoons and try a new approach. Although his grades are great so far (progress reports today contain 2-100's and 2-99's), it's the keeping things organized and remembering all the everything that he needs a little help with.

(And mom needs a little help too. In the last few weeks, I've completely forgotten an orthodontist appointment and showed up for piano lessons on the wrong day.)

Another adventure that is taking over our house--the search for the perfect boot. For those of you who might not have heard, Erin received her mission call to New Hampshire recently. She's getting all of her preparations done. One thing that is required is a pair of leather boots, waterproofed, lined, low heel. Of course, there is none of that in Houston. So we've turned to the internet. Every pair of boots the girl finds have something wrong with them--price, lining, calf size, etc. She's ordered twice now and sent them both back. We've decided that she needs to wait until she gets to New Hampshire and then go shopping but tonight she's back online checking out more possibilities. And, of course, she found the perfect pair but . . . they don't have her size . . . of course.

Even though we're all quite busy around here, we have been working on The Merrell Family Challenge. Erin put this together for us--the idea came from a roommate's family. It's basically a spreadsheet and point system for keeping track of and motivating you to do things that you are already doing or should be doing. For example, if you're ready for the day by 9:30 am you get a point, floss your teeth you get a point, 15 minutes of spritual time, get a point, drink 8 glasses of water, get a point. There are 12 points possible each day. We do drawings at the end of each week for a prize and there will be a grand prize at the end of 8 weeks. There are bonus points possible for doing extra things--goals you make up for yourself, like blogging or working on a special project. At the end of the 8 weeks (5 more to go) we'll evaluate and see how it works for our family and maybe do it again after Christmas with a bigger group--it'll be a great way to start the new year. The bigger the group the more fun and the bigger the prizes. It's also been a great way to pull us a little closer. Doing things like this really connects our college kids to the family.

Well, it's time to get some kids to bed. Morning comes early around here.

(Happy now Mareen and Becky?) :)

4 comments:

Emily and Jake Shoff said...

Love the new family pic! Darling! You guys are so busy it amazes me. You are such a great mommy. Love your example and excited for your new missionary!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Great to be all caught up on your lives! I'm loving the point system. I am going to use it for myself... 10 points if I don't eat sugar for the day.... and when I reach 1000 points, I'll have lost enough weight to treat myself with a new wardrobe :) or something, haha!

Slim said...

You are ever amazing to me. I remember you coming to piano lessons with a calendar full of highlighted activities -- one color for each kid. I thought it was crazy, but now I am there! You are always one stage ahead of where I am, so I look to you for advice...love the idea of the point system to keep connected with your kids away at school. Will be interested to hear how that goes in the end. By the way, your second son is a dancer. He and your third daughter did awesome last night! :)

Becky said...

I am mostly likely not the "Becky" you are referring to, but if I am, then YES I am happy now! Yay! Love the update...and love the family picture! What a wonderful family you have...:)