Saturday, January 1, 2011

Alterations

"Time is a dressmaker specializing in alterations." --Faith Baldwin

Many of you know that I sew. When I was a new mom and stayed at home and needed a hobby, I dusted off my mom's old sewing machine and started sewing baby room decor and little girl dresses. There was a lot that I had to figure out, but nap times were long and I was happy to have a hobby that I enjoyed.

As the kids grew older, I wasn't sewing for them as much, but started quilting and taking in odd jobs like sewing 50 drill team uniforms and making duvet covers and tailored bed skirts. The paying jobs gave me a bit of anxiety--getting something right for someone else, so I turn down those requests now. But I still quilt when I can--I love the creation of a quilt.

Every once in a while someone asks me to alter something for them. I do not like when that happens. I would much rather sew something from pattern to finish than alter and figure out someone else's work and fix it. I even hate to hem and sew on buttons. It's drudgery work--like housecleaning. Sometimes my girls need a formal dress made over. I procrastinate as much as possible and usually end up pulling a late one the night before, hoping it all works out. And even though it always turns out great, the process is just not fun.

My life has been altered as of late and it's not fun either. I'm not saying that I hate it and it's the worst ever, it is just taking some getting used to. It's not fun and games; it's thinking and planning and work.

The first alteration came in October when I started spending my Tuesdays and Thursdays (days off at the preschool) working at a new job. I was working 5 days a week and trying to remember when I woke up which job I was going to that day. A little bit of stress. Then about Thanksgiving time, I gave the preschool my notice and started working 5 days a week at my new job. It's a great job--I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it. But it's a change. 5 days a week is a lot more than 3 and I don't have any free time during the day to schedule a hair appointment or go grocery shopping. I have a long commute to drive and still lots to learn and get used to.

The next alteration came mid-December when my sister and her 3 kids moved in with us. She's having a rough patch and needs a place for a while. Of course we're not going to say no. She's my sister and I love her and her kids. But it's a big change. The dinner table is a tight squeeze and when we all go somewhere we have to take two cars. There's bottles to fix and diapers to change. And this was right before Christmas. I'm not saying I hate it and I'm not saying I love it. Right now it's just something to work through and hopefully fix. We're looking at the way this garment was put together in the first place and hoping that a few changes here and there will make it fit better. And the work room is my home.

It's a big alteration compared to what life used to be. I will admit, I've always been leery of change. That's a character trait I've had since birth--I still sleep in the fetal position. But life goes on and every day brings a new something whether I like it or not. The baby, 6 weeks old now, is getting bigger and when he sleeps good at night we all celebrate. We love H helping us with the dishes. And Z is turning out to be a great soccer player and is going to register for school on Monday.

We're all adjusting to our new normal. And I know we'll all survive and maybe we'll even like the new look we'll have when we're done. Right now I better get back to my unpicking.

9 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

You are such a great writer. I love reading your insights into life!

Anonymous said...

Liz, I had no idea this stuff was going on. I'm so grateful you are open on your blog and write about the "tough" things, as well as all the good stuff, otherwise I'd never know! I feel ungrateful now, for complaining about how much I have to teach - after hearing that you're working 5 days a week! Ugh. For homemakers like me, that would be drudgery. I just want all my time to myself and my family. I'm sure it feels a bit like you've gone backwards, huh??? That's rough, but I have a feeling it won't be for long. You're an amazing, positive person, and I know you'll get through this with a smile on your face, like you do with everything. Until then, my thoughts are with you. Hang in there girl.

pinksuedeshoe said...

Once again I am convinced that you are the sweetest, kindest woman in the world. Tell J. I said hello, and I'm sending lots of love her (and your) way. Love to you all!

Rachel said...

Lots and lots of change. Give J our love. Give her hugs and tell her we think she's fantastic! I didn't even know she had #3 on the way. She'll make it through.

Miss you guys!

pcb said...

You are my hero! You always do the right, good, hard things! I'm so glad you're in my life.

Becky said...

Such a strong lady! I was hoping to see you while you were near...maybe next time. Hang in there...count your blessings, starting with that wonderful husband of yours:)

elasticwaistbandlady said...

How apropos that I read this today as I was reflecting on how easy it is to let oneself stagnate.

Being steadfast and immoveable applies to our FAITH and not our own lives, I guess.

May your own set of alterations turn out awesome!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Bottles and diapers . . . now that is a blast to the past!

Kent and Marca said...

Liz, I was in flossing my teeth when Marca called me in for some profound reading. I was not disappointed! With your permission I am going to use this analogy in a project I am working on for our Stake. We have discussed this challenge of unpicking and altering many times recently. I have never heard this challenge and its effects expressed so clearly or powerfully or charitably. I can't wait to hear your talks when you are on the Relief Society General Board.

Thank you so much.
Love Kent