I really like cantaloupe. It has a sweet refreshing taste and it's always been my favorite melon. Sometimes picking out a cantaloupe can be tricky. There's the "push on the blossom end" trick to see if there's any give. There's the "scratch and smell" trick to see if it smells fresh. I've also bought them and turned them blossom side down on the counter for a day or two to let the sugar run through it before cutting and eating it. Sometimes we think we have a good one, buy it, take it home, cut it up, and it's already rotten inside. We've spent a lot of money on cantaloupe and maybe half of the time we get a really good one that we just love. The other ones end up in the trash.
I have a friend who I love dearly. We live a few states away and only see each other occasionally. Most of our communication is done over the phone--she doesn't do computers. I love it when we have a good conversation but most of the time it's hit or miss. When I see her name on caller ID, I immediately worry: will it be good or will I be frustrated when the call is over? I have to answer the phone just so I can answer the question! When I call her the worry is the same--will this conversation be a good one or frustrating? I never know what I'm going to get. I try and direct the conversation as much as possible, but a lot of times I end up saying, after only a few minutes, "Well, it was good talking to you, I've got to run." It's like I've just cut up a bad cantaloupe.
I've invested a lot in this relationship and sometimes it does pay off, but I wish it would be more consistent. Even when you pay for something, there's no guarantee that it's going to be good when you get into it. I should be enjoying the sweet taste of friendship more than I am. I wish it could be good everytime. I guess it's hard to tell exactly what's under that thick skin.
I will keep buying cantaloupe though, because there's hope, and hope is something that has always helped me to keep on trying even when things are rotten. Because I know that when I do get a good one, it's really good.
I have a friend who I love dearly. We live a few states away and only see each other occasionally. Most of our communication is done over the phone--she doesn't do computers. I love it when we have a good conversation but most of the time it's hit or miss. When I see her name on caller ID, I immediately worry: will it be good or will I be frustrated when the call is over? I have to answer the phone just so I can answer the question! When I call her the worry is the same--will this conversation be a good one or frustrating? I never know what I'm going to get. I try and direct the conversation as much as possible, but a lot of times I end up saying, after only a few minutes, "Well, it was good talking to you, I've got to run." It's like I've just cut up a bad cantaloupe.
I've invested a lot in this relationship and sometimes it does pay off, but I wish it would be more consistent. Even when you pay for something, there's no guarantee that it's going to be good when you get into it. I should be enjoying the sweet taste of friendship more than I am. I wish it could be good everytime. I guess it's hard to tell exactly what's under that thick skin.
I will keep buying cantaloupe though, because there's hope, and hope is something that has always helped me to keep on trying even when things are rotten. Because I know that when I do get a good one, it's really good.

4 comments:
oh boy! I'm glad you said "another state" because I was thinking it may be me. But if that is the case than I have to tell you that I don't feel the same way. Our relationship is very satisfying to me and I don't think I have ever come away thinking we had a "miss". I know I have been kind of a freak lately but cut me some slack. I have the exact same problem with the melons though.
I'd chalk this one up to people and their many moods and occasionally we just don't mesh well on certain days depending on what's going on in our lives.
Sometimes long-distance friendship is perfection like your sweet cantaloupe comparison and other times it's rotten and stinky like crafty Etsy-shop earrings constructed out of melon rinds and not sealed....and still other times it's like a giant fiesta where you're inexplicably tottering around on high heels with a giant assortment of glazed fruit affixed to your head singing "Bahama Mama" and trying to merengue/tango/salsa with your dog because everyone else refuses to dance or be seen with you.
These things are complicated.
If only you could turn her upside down and let the sugar run through. :)
I have a friend like this. Truthfully, though, I find that our best conversations are when I have the mindset for it to be that way. Maybe I need to turn myself on my head from time time.
I love how in the picture of the melon, there's an apple off to the side. I thought it ironic.
Post a Comment