Saturday, July 17, 2010

Slot Canyon Adventure

Just south of Cedar City, there's a cool secret. A hidden slot canyon. Actually, it's not really that secret--everyone seems to already know about it and has been there. But, they do agree that it is very cool. I first heard about it on my cousin's blog. When I read it and saw the pictures, I thought--"We got to go there!" It made our road trip a bit longer, but it was so worth it. Hearing the kids say things like, "This is the best vacation!--and it just started!" or "Wow! This place is amazing!" made it all worth it!
Most of the hike took place in the water. The first couple of crossings, the girls were taking off their shoes, walking through the water, and then putting them back on. After doing that twice, they realized it was a lost cause and kept their shoes on. It took us an hour or more from the parking area to the waterfall. I'm sure others do it faster, but we took our time and took lots of pictures. When we started seeing cool rock formations, we knew we were getting close.

Soon the walls started closing in on us, there was a constant shade and the temperature dropped. It was awesome.

Yes, I even climbed the tree ladder to get to the top of the waterfall. Going up was easy--it was the coming down that was a bit tricky--but we all did it! This is the waterfall at the top of the first waterfall. The kids quickly scaled that rock and wanted to keep going. Maybe they wanted to walk all the way to SLC. We promised them Taco Bell for dinner and they came back down.

Vacations are fun!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHATT????? How is it that you know about this and you live in TX, and I don't and I live in UT? :)

Okay, we're totally checking that place out. Looks like a blast! We'll have to mapquest it and see if it's close enough for a day trip or weekend trip or something.

Anonymous said...

Okay Liz - give it up. Where is it? And how do we find it?

Clear Aire said...

I am so jealous!!!! I missed the hiking trips and everything! ugh.

heidikins said...

I went to this slot on Saturday--and I was really disappointed that there were 10 million people there. Last year there was my friend and I and one other lonely hiker--this year there were probably 150 people--and their trash. :( I'm glad you enjoyed it--but I'm terribly sad the canyon has deteriorated so much in just one year.

xox