One of the best things we do when we come to Salt Lake City is to spend a day downtown. The last few times we have gone downtown, we have taken TRAX. It's a good thing. The kids think it's an awesome adventure and they learn how to use public transportation. We don't have to worry about driving or parking. Everyone's happy.
The reflecting pool in front of the temple. B's walking around the far edge.
Every time I see the Salt Lake Temple it amazes me that it took the Pioneers 40 years to build it. Every block of granite had to be carved by hand and brought down by wagon (until the railroad went in about halfway through construction) from the granite quarry. It is a beautiful, amazing building that will be standing strong and secure for all time. 
I have always loved the gardens around Temple Square.
I have always loved the gardens around Temple Square.
I think I took more pictures of flowers than I did of the kids.
The beautiful Salt Lake Tabernacle where the famous choir sings every Sunday morning. The pioneers built this also--without one nail.
Beautiful downtown!
Merrell family tradition dictates that we have lunch at The Lion House Pantry everytime we're in town. Every time. And we get dessert and rolls. Every time. Love that tradition.
One of the dining rooms in the Lion House.
This next picture is of the Beehive House. The Beehive House and the Lion House were both residences of Brigham Young. They are situated next door to each other. In the Beehive House he not only lived there with some of his very large family but it was also his office as he served as President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Governor of the territory of Utah, and he was also in charge of Indian Affairs. Behind the Beehive House you can see the tall Church Office Building as it stands now.
We took a tour the Beehive House and saw all of the rooms and the antique furnishings. It's been taken care of very well. I love seeing how people used to live before refrigerators and electricity and running water and plumbing. Brigham Young was a carpenter and the house is amazing.
Above is one of the many bedrooms and below is a picture of the school room that was upstairs in the house. President Young believed education was very important.
We also saw wonderful things in the visitor's centers that are on Temple Square and spent lots of time in the Church History Museum. Lots to do and see downtown!

6 comments:
So fun! It was great seeing you and your darling family! Can't wait for the next reunion! Don't you just love temple square!!!
Does this mean that you'll take me to the lion house when you are in Utah later this summer? :)
I guess because we used to live there - we don't do any of the touristy stuff in Utah at all - and you are making me think we should!
Sigh--I love downtown!
xox
later this summer???? Hey - keep me posted - I would love you to come over and visit us! We could fix you some pulled pork - best recipe ever - whatdya say? Plus - I make your delicious potato salad to go with it!
LIZ,
LOVED loved L-O-V-E-D seeing and reconnecting with your beautiful family!!! Great to have a bit of time with you at the Doxey reunion!Hope your trip home went well, cuz your summer of traveling sounds like it was marvelous! You will forever be my darling daugther!
~hugs~
Mary Ann
Post a Comment