I have a child that is almost 20.
That's all your fingers and all your toes put together.
We won't talk about how many fingers and toes I need for my age.
And while my children continue to grow up and try new things and move on with their lives, I'm still here. I 'm not complaining, not at all. This is where I want to be and doing what I've always wanted to be doing. It just seems that my accomplishments and my identity are in relationship to theirs. To explain myself, I tell what my kids are doing and what they're busy with. Erin's almost a junior, she's got a phonetics class and is swimming--she's got a great butterfly stroke. Cait's just finished her college apps and she's still working at the bookstore. Stef's going to New Moon tonight. She got Embry's autograph. Jace is getting a root canal on Monday and wants to take piano again. Benj is playing basketball now and he's read 3 big chapter books in the last few weeks.
Oh, did you want to know what I've been doing? I'm still being a mom, chaperone for activities, still doing lots of laundry, pack meeting tonight. Hhmmm--that's still in relationship to the kids, isn't it? OK, how about--I teach preschool, read, quilt. Isn't that what I've been doing for the last ?? years?
I had a physical a few days ago--I've been trying to do that annually so I can stay up with my health. I complained of memory loss. I mix up my words and forget where I put things. Sure, typical stuff for a busy mom who's always on the go. He asked how much sleep I get. I asked him how much I need. He said 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 hours. I said 5 or 6. He said that we can adjust to less sleep, but we suffer--mainly our memory (and we also get the mid-section pooch which, I will admit, is apparent on me). Shoot. I was hoping there would be a magic pill of some kind for my memory. Ginkoba? or fish oil? or what's that red fruit? I can't remember. The kind with the little juicy seeds. We planted one in our yard last spring. . . Pomegranite! He said fish oil will help, but I need more sleep, I need more exercise and I need a NEW activity. He asked if I did puzzles. Only the crossword and sudoku almost every day for the last 15 years. He said I need a NEW activity. He asked if I played a musical instrument. Piano, the same songs and hymns I've played for the last 25 years. He said I need a NEW activity! So, I'm looking for something new to do--throwing ideas around in my head. Maybe I'll get back to my book I'm writing (Isn't everyone writing a book?) or buy a Harley or learn to . . . I don't know. Something is out there waiting for me. I've got to get out of my rut!
So, that's me. Identified by my kids, but I'm also someone in search of a new activity just for me. Any ideas? And, I'm trying to get to bed earlier. Like that's going to happen.
Here are some pictures of the birthday girl--She's doing lots of new things and has been learning and growing for 20 years now!
Erin on her blessing day, me, her Grandma Miller,
Great-Grandma Doxey, Great-Great Grandma Winegar
(she's in a short white dress 'cause she had a blow-out in her long, pretty one)







9 comments:
Wait a second...it's Erin's Birthday? Right after yours? I though we were the only ones who did that! :-)
Hey...do you think your girls would be interested in my Cricut? I know we talked about it this summer but nothing came of it. Let me know! I did actually use it this past week. I think that makes 4 times since I bought it.
In your five generations picture, you look just like Erin. Great job, Mom.
You have such a darling family! 20 is a great year! Happy birthday Erin!
Aww Liz....I feel your pain!! :)
I'm getting way too close to these things you're writing about and I'm starting to realize how little time I have left with my oldest kids. That's so sad! But, on the other hand, I DID just break out my old classical piano books the other day, dusted them off, and determined to learn a piece of music (a GOOD one) - stretch my fingers, really give 'em a good workout!! That I can even consider this an option says a lot - maybe it's time for us again -
I've heard of this GREAT new exercise class being offered up here - it's called Zumba - have you heard of it? Do they offer it there? That would be a great thing to try out - everyone I know that's tried it loves it. Also, I look forward to the day I'm not teaching every night so Mart and I can sign up for ballroom dancing - learn a little latin hip sway action!! :) Maybe you and Chris???????
Either way - good luck - enjoy the bridge into the next phase of your life - (Grand - motherhood!!) :) Tee hee.
PS - There's always that quilting class you're gonna start up too, right???
The 5 generations pic made my heart catch in my throat, what a fantastic legacy.
xox
Didn't we say a year or so ago that we were gonna take a ballroom dance class with our husbands???
I found your post by clicking the "next blog" link and I really like your honesty...I'm the baby girl in our family and I wonder if this is how my mom feels some days...I thought of some things I enjoy in Montana and thought what the heck...spinning classes, scrap booking, martial arts, and I just started a business with Lia Sophia selling fashion jewelry...hope it gives you some ideas!
William turned 20 in October...this is a new stage of life. I started playing racquetball again, after several years...lots of fun! Also, I volunteer at the local food pantry once a week...I still feel my memory slipping...:) I guess I need to give it a little more time. Love your posts.
Erin! Love that girl. Didn't know she was swimming at BYU! Wow. As far as a new activity, I'm sure Kristi is trying to get you to do a tri. That is fun. You could start biking with me. That would be fun too. How about...uh...I'm suffering from memory loss too apparently and can't think of anything new either. :)
Post a Comment