Saturday, September 5, 2009

After 22 Years, We Remember The Food


Chris and I celebrated our anniversary this weekend! We actually got away from it all for an entire night and a day! It was fun to reminisce back 22 years to all that we were doing and all that was going on in our lives then. AND we're grateful that we're 22 years down the road from it all. It seriously just gets better and better every year!

The weather had cooled off enough last night that we ate dinner out on the patio of the restaurant. It was SO relaxing! There was a breeze and we could just take our time! I didn't have to cook or get up and fetch anything for anyone! We started talking about our most favorite restaurant experience. Chris's most memorable was a seafood restaurant in San Francisco but he couldn't remember the name of the place. It was when he really fell in love with seafood--he had never had good seafood before that. He remembers it was a few blocks from the Wharf and said he could find it again. (He has such a goose-brain--he can find ANYTHING!) If any of you San Francisco lovers know the name, let me know!

I remember going to a restaurant in San Francisco when I was VERY young when Grandma and Grandpa Doxey came to visit us. I remember it had a lot of big windows that looked right out over the Bay and Grandma ordered a huge salad that had a lot of little tiny squid in it. It grossed us out and made us laugh when she ate them.

Chris and I also remembered, fondly, every restaurant we ate at in Chile--even the Completos we ate on the street. Yummy! The empanadas we ate right around the corner from the Santiago temple were the best empanadas ever made anywhere. And the ceviche up at the top of Macchu Pichu was incredible!

The cedar plank salmon we ate on an island up by Seattle definitely won the award for best salmon (can't remember the name of the island or the native americans that served it but Chris can find it).

Once we went to Chicago for a week and ate at Ed Debevic's almost every night. It's a 50's style place that serves home cooking and great shakes. I think I gained 10 pounds that week. We also remember Bob Chinn's crab house in Chicago. That was the first time I had lobster and I never want to eat it anywhere else because I don't think it would be as good. (Although Chris has made us lobster before and that was pretty darn good.)

We even remembered a restaurant in Jackson that we went to on our Honeymoon that had great food but after the food came we just really didn't feel like eating it. We were so sick of eating out all week! We just looked at our plates, had one or two bites, and that was it. It was a very nice place and the food was good but we had no appetite.

Roll throwing and deep fried okra at The Potato patch, chicken fried steak at Goodson's Cafe, going to the Lion House for lunch every time we visit SLC. Food sure makes the experience more memorable! I'm sure I'll remember for a long time sitting out on the patio with the waterway close by, watching people, enjoying a good meal, and reminiscing with my sweetie about our 22 years of togetherness.

If you have a memorable experience with eating out at a restaurant, please share!

9 comments:

pcb said...

Aww - I love that picture! So adorable! Just this morning I was wishing that food didn't mean so much to me and then you go and write about it in a way that makes it seem okay. It seems sometimes that the food is all that really matters, it can make or break a trip to anywhere. Congrats on 22 years of sharing good food!

Sharon said...

I love Ed Debevic's! I remember going there as a youth when we were up in Chicago for something. So much fun!

Congrat's on 22 years. I'm sure we'll get there some day (like in 5 years or so!)

Becky said...

You went to Chile? That's were I served my mission. I still have dreams of returning one day...maybe on the the way (not really on the way) to pick William up in Colombia Feb. of 2011! You are a darling couple...now and then! Happy Anniversary!

calmrapids said...

We visited Chris' mission about 5 years ago--Vina del Mar. It was an awesome, amazing trip. We spent time in Chile and Peru. LOVED it! I would recommend taking the detour to Colombia through Chile :)

heidikins said...

I love this, and I totally remember places by their food. :o)

xox

Anonymous said...

Your post makes me so happy - because we're just on the "verge" of seeing what the future holds for us - like that! So many years together and it just gets better and better - and the food is the stuff you SHOULD remember!! :) Plus all the memories that go with the food. I love it.

How's the quilting class idea coming along???

Slim said...

That is the cutest picture! Liz you are a skinny winny. Congrats on 22 years. You two have a lot to show for it.

Slim said...

Oh, and by the way, I do have a funny story about eating at a restaraunt, but I just can't disclose it in public. Oh dear! We will just have to go antiquing in Old Town Spring and I'll tell you over a cherry-lime freeze at the Depot. :)

Rachel said...

I'm late on this, but I LOVE the picture! You two are an amazing couple...

I love reading your sweet wisdom. It gives me encouragement that I can do this!