Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's All About The Food

This last week Jace turned 13 and for the last 2 months he's been telling us exactly what he wanted for his birthday dinner. He's always been a little persnickity about food. He finally narrowed it down to his basic favorites. Sushi from HEB, macaroni salad, fresh pineapple, and for dessert, NO birthday cake--just homemade chocolate almond ice cream. That's a menu I can definitely approve. The only things I have to worry about making are the salad and the ice cream. Easy!

His birthday was on a Sunday and we teased him that morning by saying, "Sorry we forgot to get you presents and since it's Sunday, you're going to have to wait until tomorrow to get any." It didn't even phase him--"Mom, I don't care about presents this year. I know I'm getting the food I want and that's what's important." Does this mean he's growing up? I still don't get it. He got presents anyway and enjoyed them.
Here's some cute pictures of him.

He's always loved the piano and all music.

Holding a gater in Destin, FL

Beach Bum

I think this is about 5th grade. Swim team.


Here are the recipes for Jace's favorites:

MACARONI SALAD
from: Marca Merrell

1 pkg. (12-16 oz) Shellroni, cooked as directed on package, drained, and rinsed
4 green onions, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 pkg. Petite frozen peas
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced
1 6 oz. package of frozen salad shrimp, thawed and rinsed
Garlic salt
2 T. parmesan cheese
½ tsp. Lawry’s seasoned salt
¾ c. mayonnaise
2 tsp. Sugar
2 T. evaporated milk

Sprinkle mixture of shellroni, green onions, cucumber, peas, eggs, and shrimp with garlic salt, Parmesan cheese, and seasoned salt. Mix mayonnaise, sugar, and milk together. Toss all ingredients together. Makes large bowl full.


Chocolate Almond Ice Cream

2/3 c. sliced almonds, toasted (350 for 5-7 min.)
3 c. half and half
3 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. sugar
1 T. vanilla
1 - 16 oz can Hershey's syrup

In a large mixing bowl, combine the half and half, sugar and vanilla and stir until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Use a 4 or 5 quart machine, makes 2 quarts. We've also dipped the almonds in chocolate (and let them set in the fridge or freezer) before adding them--extra yummy.






5 comments:

pcb said...

He is so cute! I love his infectious smile. He seems like a pretty good eater to me, I guess compared to Cam. He is mature though - realizing it's the food that counts.

Ari said...

wow...he sure is growing up. Happy Birthday Jace!! Your an amazing mom to cook all those wonderful meals to your kids on your birthday. I do the same but they ususally just pick one main dish not a list and of course the cake. Miss you guys, hope to see you all soon.

Trulee said...

I love the picture of him at the piano, so darling. To be honest that is how I remember him. And we love Macaroni Salad too.

Slim said...

Aw, some of those pictures reminded me of when I first met Jace in Primary Sharing Time -- he was a Sunbeam and the cutest thing I'd ever seen! Such a big smile! Happy Birthday, Jace! And thanks for the recipes -- I needed something for dinner! :)

Anonymous said...

You make it sound so easy!!