Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Fine Line

Our oldest four children have, for the most part, enjoyed participating in sports. They've been on countless soccer teams, volleyball teams, t-ball, track, years of gymnastics, years of swim team, basketball, and football. And then along comes number 5. He broke the mold.

He has played a few seasons of basketball and has been on swim team for a couple of years but doesn't really get excited about it. He likes the party/social aspect of it a lot more than the sport. (When I told him we weren't going to do swim team this year, he said, "Awesome!, but can I still go to the pep rallies?") I know that the social/team part of the sport is very important but I'm not going to pay so my son will volunteer to sit on the bench and pass out the treats at the end.

He gets very nervous about participating. I know that a lot of kids do. He gets physically sick before a game or meet. He trembles, gets pale, gets nausious, and cries, but still goes. Before his first-ever basketball game, he cried but tried to be brave the whole way there. When he could finally tell me why he was crying, I almost laughed. The only basketball game he remembered seeing was BYU v. U of H and he thought he'd be in a stadium that big with thousands of people watching. He probably thought the other team would be that tall, too. Poor baby.

I've been trying to talk up football and baseball, but he really doesn't want to play those. And I, trying to save a buck, don't push him. I think it comes down to his fear of getting hurt. He sees his older brother limping off of the football field after a big tackle, his older sister getting her nose broken in a basketball game and her arm broken on the hurdles--all war scars that they love and brag about! He does not like getting hurt at all! He also doesn't like exerting himself a lot--he's more of a take-it-easy kind of guy.

So lately I've been wondering how much should I push him? I know the importance of learning a sport--especially for a boy. Do I make him play in hopes that he will get over the nerves? Lots of boys get along fine without ever playing baseball or football, right? We have given him a break lately--no basketball this spring and no swim team this summer. We also passed this week when football sign-ups were held. I know I'm going to be ready to get back into something this fall--I hope he's up for it.

I want him to succeed at everything. I want him to play well and love playing. I want him to be on a winning team that's winning because of his contribution. I want him to want to get in the game.

There's that fine line about how much to push your child and how much to let it go. If I let it go too much his childhood will soon be over and he won't know how to play basketball with the deacons or flag football at the Turkey Bowl. If I push too much, he could get hurt and hate me. He could really hate the sport--forever--because of such a bad experience.

I just re-read this and I sound like a worrying mother--very fitting for this Mother's Day weekend. We really have a lot of power to shape our children into what we want them to be. I hope I shape him into what he should be.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

He'll still know how to play basketball with the Deacons and flag football even if you don't push him into it now. At least, that's what I tell myself. Seriously...sports are so expensive down here. In Laramie Andrew participated in soccer and baseball, but until this year we hadn't done any sports with the kids. I'm worried about the time commitment for both Andrew and ME! Getting three extra kids out the door by 7:30am on a Saturday was not fun and since Steve isn't available most Saturdays, it really falls to me. But Andrew wants to swim on the HS swim team next fall so I'll do what I need to do to support him.

Anyway, back to you...let him decide. Not all kids are into sports. Look through his scout book for ideas of how to work some "sporty" things into his life. :-)

Slim said...

You are a good mom and will do the right thing for Benji in the end. I think every mom feels those same feelings of should I do this or that? Consternation! With Macey we had to push and encourage in gymnastics for a while -- until this year when we realized we were done pushing and happy for her to quit. We were just waiting for her to say the word "done." Then it all changed. She realized that she really loved gymnastics and it became her choice to do it. Suddenly, she's a different gymnast and instead of being at the bottom of her group, she's at the top. Sometimes it just takes them wanting it more than the parent does. But you are right that we have so much power in shaping their lives. If we hadn't have pushed Macey and teaching her that we don't quit, she wouldn't have gotten to the point where she wants to put forth sincere effort. Then there's Indy, who we haven't had to push a day in her life, but hold her back. They all come programmed differently, and the trick to good parenting is finding what works for each child. You are one of those moms I have looked up to all of these years, so I know you will do what's right for Benj.

pcb said...

You just might have a musician, mathmatician or a chef on your hands. There are lots of other things besides sports. I thought scouts was a great way to introduce different things to boys so they can see for themselves what their interests are. I have no doubt that you will be able to guide him in finding where he belongs and what will make him happiest.

pcb said...

alright, it's been 2 weeks - is there an update in sight?

Kari said...

Liz,
Wow, you are such an amazing mom. I admire you tremendously. I obviously don't have kids old enough to give any experience from a mother's perspective, but I can from a child's perspective. 2 of my sisters were pushed into sports, when they really dreamed of drama, and dancing. It was a sour spot with tender feelings for quite a few years. I believe strongly in the importance of feeling supported in those talents you naturally have, or are excited about developing. I think introducing the wide variety of options is the parent's responsibility, and letting the child find what he loves. Then they will accel and feel accomplished. Even if it is WAY off what you thought it would be. Maybe he'll marry a girl that has been praying for a more social guy and not as much into sports :)

You're so amazing, Liz. I'm sad to be farther away from you--even if we didn't see you guys all the time. It was comforting knowing you were close by. Just last week, Austin was riding on that horse you gave us and talking about the salt in the ice cream he got to make with Chris. It took me for ever to figure out what he was refering to. Obviously, he had a great memory of that night : ) So did we!! Love you!

P.S. Hey, are you guys coming up for the reunion by chance??