I think everyone that knows me knows that I love to eat.
Especially food.
And it starts early.
This morning, I got up about 6 to take my hubby to Woodbadge. I ate an apple* while I got the kids out to school and morning things taken care of. After the house settled down and I realized I now had an entire day ahead of me to do whatever I wanted, I thought about breakfast. Sure I had an apple, but that was technically a snack. I pulled out the bag of Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats-- a definite favorite lately. I made enough for two and put the second serving in the fridge for tomorrow (yes, oatmeal reheats in the microwave great!). That oatmeal is so good. I like it with white sugar, brown sugar and blueberries sprinkled on top. It tastes like blueberry muffins. Yum!
And while we're talking about hot cereal... True Confession: Every time we go to Utah we stop at Lehi Mills and buy a 25 lb. bag of Germade. I even asked M&S to bring us a bag once when they were visiting. I think it fit in their carry-on. :) Yes, I still owe you guys for that one. What did security think???
My all-time favorite breakfast food is pancakes. I love pancakes with homemade maple syrup and lots of butter. I like them with blueberries, I like whole wheat ones,
...and I will eat them on a train and I will eat them in the rain ...
and I recently found IHOP's recipe for their Harvest Grain and Nut Pancakes. I haven't tried it yet but it's full of oats, whole wheat flour, almonds, and walnuts. I also have a recipe for Sweet Potato Pancakes with brown sugar and pecans. It doesn't get any better than that. :)
For Christmas this last year, J&K sent us breakfast in a box. Was that the most perfect gift or what? We must be related!
I also love sweet breads, muffins, waffles, breakfast cake, danishes, actually any kind of pastry. I love crepes, doughnuts, kolaches, breakfast casserole, omelets, english muffins, french puffs, german pancakes, pannekoeken, and the list goes on....
I've decided that eggs aren't my favorite unless they're with something. If I eat a poached egg it has to be on top of an english muffin with grated cheese on top. Hollandaise sauce anyone? If we're going to scramble them we've got to put stuff in them. I like mushrooms and onions and/or zucchini and potatoes with a sprinkle of tomatoes and cheese on top. Like a scrambled omelet. And speaking of omelets--Chris makes the best omelets in the world--and the best sticky potatoes. He is a genius with breakfast. No wonder we love each other so much.
For sticky potatoes: grate a couple of potatoes but don't rinse them. Melt a little butter on a griddle or in a non-stick fry pan and add the potatoes. When they've gotten crispy on the bottom, flip them over. You might have to cut them with the side of your spatula so you can flip them over. Brown on the second side. Season with salt, pepper, season-all or whatever you like. Eat them with ketchup or homemade chili sauce.
Of course, our breakfast is usually cold cereal or instant oatmeal, or cinnamon toast. Since everyone leaves at different times we don't get to eat together every morning. Maybe the reason why I like a good breakfast so much is because we actually don't get it very often.
*A note about having an apple in the morning--One apple is supposed to give you just as much energy as a cup of coffee. Interesting, huh?
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I'm with you on the whole breakfast thing. I love it.
Anything that is full of carbs and sugar HAS to be good, right?
I think I try the apple thing and see if it works... coffee really isn't doing anything for me anymore anyway.
I love breakfast foods...just not at breakfast time. :-)
I'm going to have to try out that apple theory. I'm with Layne, coffee isn't doing it for me anymore too. ;-)
Not to make you "homesick" or anything, but did you know I pass Lehi Mills at least 5 times every single week? Yum - I love their muffin mixes!! :)
Hey, at least I could MAIL you some of this goodness! Any chance you'd mail me some (dead) TX wildflowers?
:)
Love ya!
PS - I'm serious about mailing you some of the goodness - what do you want?
I'm so hungry now. My favorite breakfast is apple and brown sugar oatmeal with a cup of homemade hot chocolate and a piece of buttered toast. Nothing like carb loading to start the day off right.
I also love peanut butter banana toast.
You seriously must have been hungry writing this! It made me hungry. I had pancakes 2 nights for dinner this week. (I fixed other stuff for them but I wanted pancakes!) I love your new quote on the side there, wish it were posted on a billboard or the TV or something.
Mmmmm.... breakfast food is the best ever, at any time of day or night, breakfast always sounds good. I also heard that five chocolate chip cookies does the same thing as coffee and/or apples. Well maybe not, but I have been trying that this week anyway...
Oh my goodness! I think you were hungry...made me hungry for sure! I love love love breakfast too. I'm a BIG waffle fan, especially with strawberry syrup, strawberries and whipped cream. Oh...... Love it with plain old maple syrup too and I love hashbrowns and eggs. That cereal I just had this morning isn't going to satisfy now! By the way, we must be related. I love an apple in the morning too! Love ya and take care
Post a Comment