Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Soldier's Prayer

There is a family in our ward whose daddy just came home from Iraq. He served two consecutive terms. He had been gone for two years with only a short break after the first year. When the family walked into church yesterday, the smiles were incredible. His kids hung on his arms and sat on his lap throughout the service. He was asked to give the benediction in sacrament meeting. I have never heard such a personal and sincere prayer before. There is one phrase that he said that I can't get out of my head. He prayed, "We are grateful that we have one more day to prepare to be with Thee." I keep thinking--What am I doing with my day today to help me prepare to be with God again? Our soldier was looking death in the face every day. He was a very good soldier in an elite group and was fighting in the most dangerous areas of Iraq. But, we also face death every day. We never know when we will be called home. Are we ready? What are we doing to be ready? Isn't that the purpose of our life here-- To be ready to go back?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post, thank you for such a heart-felt reminder of what I need to be focusing on.

xox

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean. We had a brother in our ward who was gone for 15 months as well, and when he got home, it was incredible to see the change in his family. We really take things for granted. Thanks for the great post.

Dickey said...

Very true...

Slim said...

Our persepectives are so relative to our experiences aren't they? Thanks for sharing that.